Saturday, May 30, 2009

It took a little more than 4 months...

So I have lived in Florida since January 22, and now four months later I finally experience what people are always talking about. Every person I have talked to who has at some point lived in Florida has mentioned the massive bugs they have here, I have read stuff online about them and about how there is no getting away from them no matter how clean or new your house is. Well for four months I am thinking that these people must be crazy because the extent of bugs I have seen are a few normal sized spiders and mosquitoes no different than you would see in Washington. Lots of alligators and lizards, but abnormal sized bugs? Nope.

Well today Jeremy and I got sushi for dinner, and on our way out to the car to leave I had my first experience. On the tire of the truck next to us was the biggest, ugliest grasshopper I have ever seen! The pictures don't do its size justice. I though about putting my finger next to it for scale, but there was no way in heck I was getting within feet of this nasty thing! I was thoroughly disgusted and creeped out.

Though the pictures don't look like it, the thing was as fat as my thumb and 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. It just occurred to me I have seen a grasshopper this size, 7th grade biology class. However that one was dead and had been in formaldehyde for at least ten years. And I still freaked out when its foot got stuck on my rubber glove and it moved...my silly 13 year old self swore it was alive for a minute. I was extremely freaked out, and made my lab partner do the dissecting...I was not getting within feet of it. Let me tell ya, they are even more freak and gross when they move on their own.

I will likely have nightmares tonight of abnormal large disgusting bugs....ewww!

4 comments:

Summer Mike and Paxton said...

I would flip out. I would never wear sandals. I would carry bug spray on my key chain. You're brave.

Summer Mike and Paxton said...

Oh, heck...you like sushi...Great source of protein, raw, and full of different textures. Just have Jeremy catch that bad boy for you, and give it a whirl. There's no Difference!!! At least that's what I've read on the internet, and if's its on the internet...Well, it must be true!

Patty Stephens said...

SICK!!!!!

Caitlin said...

Summer, or more likely Mike from the second comment...I don't really like Sushi that much and definitely not raw! I only like one or two things and that day I was so not feeling it...but alas Jeremy had been craving it all week. I did however get ice cream after so that helped.

And I so did flip out, I was so grossed out. I carry pepper spray...wonder if that would work on those big nasty bugs! gag!

Patty...I concur!